Friday, March 29, 2013

Verses from the Void

For those who do not know yet, I am "currently" working on a sci-fi story. For one part of this story, the characters travel across space at faster-than-light speed.

Within this story world there is a book of poetry/collected sayings of people who have traveled through the depths of space. This book is called "Verses from the Void." The name is taken from the first entry in the book, written by a dying spacer as his oxygen runs out, and goes as follows:


From the Void
I float through the void
Never to land
Fearing that the Reachs
Will be my grave
With stars in every direction
I drift over the void
Above the abyss I list
I fear I will fall
Never to rise
In this endless cascade into nothing
I sink through the depths
Into leagues uncharted
That rarified air
Of where few have been
Leaves for a suffocating atmosphere
I know not
where my final resting place will be
But I think I have found solace
in this verse from the void


However, the verse that I wanted to share tonight is actually the longest piece that I have written for this poetry book and bares, I think, significant importance for the sci-fi books I am in the process of writing. The form of it is probably still raw (as I know next to nothing about poetry itself), but I like the idea of it and I hope you can enjoy it as well. If you feel up to it, any comments would be welcome as well as I want these poems/verses to be good and I still need to grow as a writer in this area. Thanks and enjoy.

[The poem is purposely untitled.]


Voiceless whispers the light
Across dark waves of night
To proclaim against wrongs
To speak forth for the right
Long have we waited here
From ages past to cheer
The defeat of the night
The victory of light

‘Fore the dawn
We burst forth
Into time
We stepped
From the dark
We sang out
Rays of truth
Rays of light

Against the chaos we strove
Victors of a mighty lord
Behind his flag we marched
Under his light we reigned
By his order we were set
In his name we ruled skies
In our sectors we would stay
To rule night and to rule day

The world blue and green was our great treasure
The jewel of the skies was our supreme prize
The world where light brought life was our delight
And in man who walked under our king
In the light they strove to please our Bright One
To greet the dawn of their race with loud song
Under green and beside blue they walked
Rejoicing in their life and in their light

But it was not to last
As dawn waned and past
Green was surrendered
Blue was given for death
Light traded for darkness
Life lost its final breath
One drew another’s blood
Opening the red flood

We were not indifferent
We were not without caring
Though stained red was the ground
Yet bright white were still the stars
Messengers streaked through space
Even our prince to the earth
Yet not one was received
All burned red in the sky

Though eyes were turned up
Yet hearts were turned down
You sought to explore us
To carry wonder here
To reach the bright places
You burned fires below
Launched into the deep
You sought to meet the light

But you brought with you red
And with you darkness came
Your eyes were darkened
And were closed to the light
What darkness there is here
Was carried to this place
For in ages long past
We banished the dark

Watchers of the skies are we
Rulers of the heavens now
Warriors who once drew sword
Defenders of right and light
Against the void we have fought
To fill all places with light
Witnesses before the king
At the trial of man’s deeds

We are old, from times unknown
Our king from ages yet known
Our voices carry through night
From the dawn to speak of light
Against him do man’s deeds cry
Charges to seek eye for eye
Yet we stars speak no vi’lence
For man shall end in             


No comments:

Post a Comment